Now in its sixth year, GAD is an exciting celebration of art, our artists and the role they play in making Geelong unique.
GAD is a curated event that may include projections, interactive activities, underground or street performances, music, installations, exhibitions and more.
Geelong City Council is now calling for submissions from individual artists, groups and artist collaborations for GAD2019.
We invite artists to view Central Geelong – its laneways, intersections, cultural facilities and hidden spaces – as a stage to bring us together with artworks that extend boundaries of form and function.
Working across multiple platforms and genres, artists will reveal new places, new connections and new perspectives.
The GAD EOI process encourages:
- Exploration, discovery and going further
- Great artworks and practice development
- Connections between people and place
- Visitation and active participation
- Cultural vibrancy and variety
GAD2019 Theme: Heighten Your Senses
We all use our senses – be it through sight, hearing, taste, touch or smell – to navigate, explore and interact in our everyday lives. And then there is the sixth sense – our intuition or “ESP”, acquired through past experiences, surrounding influences and natural instinct.
Under the cover of dark, which heightens our senses, GAD2019 invites you to explore one or more of the senses via evocative art interventions that inspire and transport audiences to a different world.
|Category 1:||$200 - $500|
|(up to 20 projects will be selected)
|Category 2:||$1,500 - $2,000|
|(up to 10 projects will be selected)
|Category 3:||$3,000 - $5,000|
|(up to 7 projects will be selected)
Artists are invited to submit proposals responding to the GAD2019 theme, and the following:
- Less than 15 minutes duration
- (installations will be considered for the full duration of the event).
- Able to be repeated no less than 2-3 times between 6.00pm -10.00pm.
- Site specific, where possible. (If your preferred site is not available, we will assist you to find an alternative site.)
- Artists are asked to consider unexpected places in their proposals. See event map on next page.
EOIs Close: Midnight Sun 23 Sept 2018.
Successful applicants will notified mid-Oct 2018.
- Proposals will be evaluated according to:
- Creative approach reflecting event theme
- Use of public/unusual space
- Calibre/experience of artist/s/team
- Audience engagement/interaction and experience.
- Special consideration will be given to applications that look at the city through a local lens, and reflect Geelong’s designation as a UNESCO City of Design (geelongcityofdesign.com.au)
- and/or the City of Greater Geelong’s vision for a Clever and Creative Future (geelongaustralia.com.au/clevercreative)
All submissions must include:
- Contact details (name, email and phone).
- Artwork statement (200-250 words max) describing the proposed artwork, concept, project or performance.
- Detailed budget and nominated application category.
- Preferred site or GAD Event Zone (refer map above).
- Bios/CVs of artist/s, including any web/social media links, and detailing total number of individual artists who will participate in the project.
- 1-3 quality images reflecting either your concept or your arts practice. (Jpegs must be uploaded separately - they may not be embedded in the proposal document).
- Summary of your proposal (50 words max) to be used for event program and other marketing channels if successful.
Successful artists will be required to:
- Hold their own Public Liability Insurance – certificate of currency must be provided.
- Develop a Risk Plan for their proposal once a site has been allocated.
- Register on Council’s Preferred Supplier system.
- Submit all Invoices prior to commencing.
All proposals to be submitted online.
For more information contact the Arts & Culture Department on 03 5272 6186.