Tonight’s the night! After many months of planning and creating, Geelong After Dark arrives tonight to transform Central Geelong.
Artists are finessing and tweaking, venues are ready and activities are being set up in preparation for The Big Reveal.
With more than 70 arts activities taking place inside venues and outside in the streets and laneways, parks and public spaces, Central Geelong is set to come alive.
Here’s a few tips to make sure you get the best out of your night.
- Dress for the cooler conditions to fully enjoy all the activities indoors and out. Layers are always a good idea.
- Plan your parking (or find a friend and share the ride). There are more than 4700 off street car parks and 5400 on street car parks in Central Geelong. On street car parking in central Geelong is free after 5.30pm. The Civic Centre Carpark opposite City Hall is free after 6pm and open until 1.30am. Parking is also available at Market Square and Westfield shopping centres, however hourly rates apply and don’t forget to keep an eye on closing times.
- Pick up your paper program from the official Geelong After Dark Info Point on the corner of Little Malop and James Sts, participating venues or our plan your visit to by selecting your zone (there are 3 zones this year) or better still, just rock up and go with the flow!
- Keep the kids interested with The Amazing Arts Adventure. Collect your card from Geelong Performing Arts Centre, Geelong Library, Geelong Gallery, Courthouse Youth Arts, Market Square, Westfield or the National Wool Museum. There are great prizes to win!
- Enjoy a bite or a beverage at one of the city’s many eateries. Little Malop St has a great selection of bars, cafes and restaurants - but don’t linger too long or you might miss something.
- Stay for the Gathering of the City in Johnstone Park at 9.30pm. Welcome Canoe and the Mountain to Mouth walkers in to the park for some much needed nourishment and to celebrate the end of the first day. Warning: there will be smoke and fire.
- Be a social butterfly! Take photos and share your experience by using the hashtag #instagad2018. Look out for your photos on the big screen in Police Lane, between GPAC and Back to Back Theatre.
- Stick around for After After Dark. When the little kids go home, it’s time for the big kids to play. Head to Little Malop St (between Gheringhap and Moorabool streets) to join in the action.
Can’t wait to meet you after dark!